free advertising for Caribou
Some reasons I feel Carbou (Grandview, at least) is the best coffee establishment, with a preface concerning the "support your local coffee shop" mentality that would be at odds with such an assertion:preface: I am all about supporting the local coffee shop, but I must say that there are typical reasons they stay LOCAL. Some reasons that really come to the fore: local shop owners are crabby. If they are not crabby, they are too nice, patting you on the back and helping you with your crossword puzzle every morning. Untrained baristas. Often local shops cut this corner, which happens to be a huge corner. They serve their coffee in cheap styrofoam cups adorned with snazzy drawings of coffee beans. I hate this. Nothing makes or ruins a cup of coffee like it's cup. Often times, local shops get really snobbish. (like this article, perhaps?) And it begins to trickle down into its patrons--then the vibe of the shop really suffers. OK, so now on to the reasons I feel Caribou has it going on...
1. It is comfortable.
2. They have large bathrooms that stay clean.
3. Their coffee is cheap(er).
4. They have a trivia of the day for 10 cents off.
5. They have comforatable mugs that keep heat.
6. They offer free refills on coffee!
7. They even offer a free refill in a to-go cup!
8. When you ask for water, you recieve a quality LARGE cup with ice (compare cup of joe's pee cups).
9. They have a fireplace.
10. They have free samples of baked goods.
11. Their baristas are trained well.
12. They are genuinely nice baristas (not crabby, and not I-have-to-be-your-pal-because-I-own-this-fledgling-coffee-shop).
13. No free internet. (this could be seen as a negative, but I think it is actually a plus: there is more energy, more reading, more talking. The coffee shop does not look like a (apple) computer lab, it looks and feels like a coffee shop.
14. good tasting coffee (compare starbuck's battery acid)
15. "Best coffee" award to the Caribou blend.
16. Free refills on iced tea.
17. good interior design.
18. There is no dish-tray. They pick up your mug when you leave.
19. They always say "see you later" or "have a good day" and they mean it.
20. They are family friendly--they have toys, small tables and chairs, and a chalkboard for the little ones. You might think that this is annoying, but see #13.
8 Comments:
I'm with you, man. I even wrote Caribou asking for them to open a shop in California. It's my all-time favorite coffee joint.
Joe,
Have you become one of those sell out bloggers that is actually on a corporate payroll to promote the Caribou brand, by posing as a genuinely satisfied patron? Selling out to the man..... What happened to you?
BTW, I guess since I have a corporate job, I would be the man. Good job.
MD
#21 was going to be: the free coffee one recieves when agreeing to "blogvertise."
that was my favorite blog in a really really long time. you make me jealous that we dont have caribu coffee. i hope all is well.
An email from carabou:
Caribou is a classic American growth company, founded in Minnesota and now employing over 2,900 Americans in 9 states. Caribou has approximately 99 shareholders and option holders, including management, employees and the original founders John and Kim Puckett. A majority of our stock is owned by a group of international investors led by First Islamic Investment Bank, E.C., a highly respected and purely financial organization based in Bahrain and regulated by the government of Bahrain, a strong U.S. ally in the Middle East and the headquarters of the U.S. Navy's 5th Fleet. The recent investment by this group has enabled Caribou to continue expanding its store base in the U.S.
We are extremely concerned about accusations that an outside advisor to First Islamic has made statements that do not reflect the views of either Caribou or any of its shareholders, and we categorically reject any attempt to link such statements to Caribou. The person in question is not an employee or shareholder of either First Islamic or Caribou, and neither we nor our shareholders have any control over this person's political views. We have made First Islamic aware of the statements and understand that this relationship is under review.
Any concerns that anyone involved in ownership of Caribou condones terrorism are totally unwarranted. Our ownership has no political agenda and is 100% opposed to terrorism of any kind, anywhere - period.
Caribou Coffee Company
ill give them the benefit of the doubt.
perhaps another subversive ploy by Starbucks to root out competition: spread nasty rumors?
I try to like our little 3 table newly opened Caribou, but my cookie was stale and I had to ask for one of those chocolate covered beans. Maybe suburban coffee shops are oxymorons?
Those drive thru coffee shops are worthy of suspicion... coffee is not a drive-thru drink, it is an aesthetic experience...warm mug, slow sips, rich smell, rising and swirling heat (thanks to rae)
Post a Comment
<< Home