Saturday, September 02, 2006

One of my professors, Jerram Barrs, said this in class Friday: "You need to be prepared to read with love and with respect--even when you do not agree with everything someone says. Lack of love, a critical spirit and a bitter and cynical heart are, just like arrogance, deadly to true knowledge. We live in a culture that exalts cynicism and suspicion. Some of you come from churches that inculcate their own culture of suspicion and bitter criticism of fellow Christians who deviate one millimeter from a narrow and rigid party line. In direct imitation of the spirit of our age in parts of our Christian subculture there are sermons, TV shows, radio programs and especially websites and blogs that demonstrate the very worst of such an unloving, even (and i will say it) wicked and cynical culture of suspicion. Remember Paul's words again: 'such knowledge puffs up, but love builds up.'"

I am glad I went to Covenant for such words and exhortation. Actually, funny (and sad) enough, the reason I have "what he said" perfectly written out is because Prof. Barrs typed it out for us. Apparently, in years past, students have "misheard and misrepresented" what he was saying. So he typed out exactly what he said so as to be careful and precise.

Seems to me this Covenant Theology class is geared to, with violent grace, challenge and remove our arrogance and "arrivedness" as students of God's Word.

If some of you want to read with me the books I will be reading, and then comment on this blog thoughts or whatever...I will be posting the titles on the right hand side of this blog.

Keep praying for Josie--her job is from God, no doubt; as her perfect giftedness for it is also.

cheers!

2 Comments:

Blogger Michael H said...

Good to read your thoughts again, Joe. I'm not sure whats next for me here, or where I'm headed next, but I'm hoping my path crosses yours again. Keep on keepin' on.

7:43 AM  
Blogger Joe and Josie Haack said...

Worship director for our church plant. You gave me your word! It is really good to hear from you. I need to call you--your number the same?

4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home